Toon Boom Animate Pro 3 is a complete professional animation software for animators. Try it at this location.
You can create your project from beginning to end ,starting the drawing, the painting etc.. Here is an easy method for character shadows.
Level : Beginner
Drawing and Painting
1 – Create a new document. Name it. Next, choose the size of your project in the list or create a personalized project by clicking Plus sign.
For this project, the drawing has been imported but you can draw it directly in ToonBoom Animate.
- Go to File>Import>Images.
- In the dialog box, click Browse and select your file.
- Check Vectorize Imported Items option
- Choose Grey in the vectorized box.
- Click OK.
2 – Create a Drawing Layer in the Timeline View.
- Click the Add Layers button. Choose Drawing in the list and name your layer.
3 – Grab the Brush in the Tools Bar. Change if need the settings in the Tool Properties (Windows> Tool Properties).
- Set the size : drag the slider left or right to modify it.
- Repeat the step to adjust the Smoothing value.
4 – Select the paths using the Contour Editor Tool. Combine the paths to close your different shapes using the Flatten Button (in the Tool Proprieties).
5 – Pick up black in the Colour View.
6 – Zoom (Drawing>Tools>Zoom). In the Camera or Drawing View , draw your character. If you are working in the Drawing View, don’t forget to activate the Light Table (Shift + L).
7 – In the Camera or Drawing view, paint your drawing.
Add a Tone effect ( the shadows on your character)
1 – Open the Network View
- Creating a Drawing Layer in the Timeline View.
- In the Network View, double-click on the yellow square of module Drawing and name your layer.
2 – Open the Module Library View.
- Click and Drag the Tone module in the Network View.
- Link (click/drag) the output port of Tone Effects module to Composite module .
- Repeat the step with the output port of your layer to link it to input port of Tone Effects module.
- Finally, link the output of your drawing to another input port of your Tone Effects module.
3 – Grab the Brush Tool. Adjust its settings.
4 – Finally, select the layer where you are going to add your shadows. Paint them.